The west front of Norwich Cathedral was originally created as part of the first building campaign in 1096-1145, though some of the most dominant features, including the west window, were added in the 15th century. Alterations were also made during several restoration campaigns in the 19th century. The rest of the building is argely Norman. The clerestory of the choir was rebuilt in perpendicular style after the spire collapsed on top of it in 1362. The ceiling was originally in wood and was replaced with stone vaulting in the fifteenth and early sixteenth century. The current spire is from 1480 and is a brick structure clad in stone, while the previous spires had been in wood.
Christ Church Cathedral in Oxford was built in 1160-1200, originally as the church of St Frideswide's Priory. There were plans to replace the priory with a college in 1522-29 but this was stopped in 1532 when the crown took over the property. It became the cathedral of Oxford in 1546 when the diocese was transferred from Osney Abbey after only four years. The diocese of Oxford was created in 1542 and previously belonged to the diocese of Lincoln. Christ Church has been said to be the smallest cathedral in England.
The west front of Peterborough Cathedral was completed in 1237 as part of a rebuilding process begun after a fire in 1116, which had destroyed the previous church. A porch was added to the west front in 1375. Most of the rest of the building, including the central tower, had been completed by 1193. The Norman tower was rebuilt in gothic style in the second half of the 14th century and a 'new building' with perpendicular fan vaulting was added to the east end in 1496-1508. The original church is thought to have been founded in about 655 and was rebuilt around 966.
The lower and central part of the west front of Lincoln cathedral originates with the first building campaign in 1088-92 and may originally have belonged to a freestanding structure, not connected with the cathedral. It was enveloped within a taller and broader facade in the early 14th century. The Norman church had been destroyed in an earthquake in 1185 and the rebuilding went on for most of the 13th century. The central tower had a spire, which it is believed made it the tallest structure in the world until it was blown off in a storm in 1549. The diocese was previously based in Dorchester before the Normans moved it to Lincoln in 1072.
The west front of Winchester Cathedral was rebuilt in 1346-66 as the first phase in the transformation of the nave, which was completed in 1367-1404. A gothic retro-choir had been added in 1189 and the crossing tower was rebuilt after the original collapsed in 1107. Otherwise, the cathedral stood as built in 1079-93 and the Norman transepts still survive. Further alterations were made in the 15th and 16th centuries, with the addition of chantries to the retrochoir and the rebuilding of the lady chapel and presbytery. The Norman cathedral replaced two anglo-saxon churches, the Old Minster dating from 1648 and the New Minster from 901.
The west front of Ely Cathedral was finished in 1400 when the octagonal tower was completed. The lower parts of the facade were begun around 1140 but the west tower was left half-built around 1189. There were originally transepts on either side of the tower but the north-west wing collapsed at the end of the 15th century. The porch was probably built in the early 13th century.
St. Micheal's Church in Coventry was elevated to cathedral status in 1918 by the creation of the Coventry diocese. The church was built in the 14th century and completed in the early 15th but was reduced to rubble during the blitz. Only the tower and outer walls remain.
The western front of Canterbury Cathedral is from the early 15th century, with the exception of the north-west tower, where the previous Norman tower remained until 1834. The nave was entirely rebuilt after an earthquake in 1382 and the central tower was begun in 1433. The transepts retain a little more of the Norman church, which was built after a fire in 1067 and which was modelled on Abbey of St. Etienne in Normandie. The choir had already been damaged in a fire in 1174 and rebuilt in gothic style. The church was originally founded in 597 by a Benedictine abbot sent to Britain as a missionary by the pope. The church may have predated his arrival and was replaced with a new structure in the ninth or tenth century.
St. Paul's Cathedral is the Anglican cathedral of London, designed by Christopher Wren in 1668-1711, though some of the statues on the roof were only added in the 1720s. For more information, click here.
The west front of St. Albans Cathedral was built in 1880-83 to a design by Edmund Beckett. The medieval structure had fallen into serious disrepair and went through extensive restoration work throughout the 19th century, but it still retains features from the Norman abbey built in 1077-89. This includes the central tower and parts of the nave. The nave was extended in the 1190s and the western front as restored by Beckett originates from that period, though the large west window was only introduced in the 15th century. The eastern end was rebuilt after an earthquake in 1250 and parts of the nave suffered the same fate after it collapsed in 1323.