Construction of the present St. Mark's Basilica started some time around 1073 and appears to have been completed in 1117. The facade was added in the 13th century with the construction of a narthex around the western arm of the church. Most of the mosaics were also completed during this period and the domes were covered with taller ones in lead-covered wood. The facade was originally in brick but was gradually clad in marble, often using decorative features taken from Byzantine buildings in the newly conquered lands in the east. The final appearance of the west front was achieved some time in the 15th century, resulting in the upper parts being completed in gothic style. St. Mark's has two predecessors, the first was built in 828-32 and was destroyed during a rebellion in 976, while the second was demolished to make way for the third.
The current bell tower of St. Mark's is a replica of the renaissance tower that was completed in 1513. It was finished in 1912 after the original had collapsed ten years earlier. The design has been attributed to Giorgio Spavento, whose work replaced an older tower built between the 9th and 12th centuries. The logetta at the base of the tower was designed by Jacopo Sansovino, was added in 1549 and also had to be reconstructed after 1902.
The church of San Giorgio Maggiore was built to a design by Andrea Palladio in 1566-1610. The bell tower from 1467 was left unchanged from a previous church but collapsed in 1774 and was rebuilt in its current style by 1791. The site of the earlier church was further back from the coastline and was built after an earthquake in 1223, which had destroyed the first church on the island, originally constructed around 790.
The basilica of Santa Maria della Salute was built in 1631-81 to a design by Baldassare Longhena. The construction of a new church was prompted by an outbreak of plague in 1630, which led to a decision by the Republic of Venice to build a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Longhena won the commission in competition with ten rival submissions.